Tuesday 6 January 2015

Day 6 - Mixed Media Explorations: Collage

Today's piece starts off with texture on heavy watercolour paper, then gesso, then many layers of paint, applied with brayer/sponges and brushes.  Throughout these layers I sponge through stencils, stamp with various tools and scratch or write on it. 

At first these actions are intuitive, but I am also bearing in mind my theme of "boundaries".  I use squares and circles and mesh patterns to represent enclosures and I use longer lines to represent divisions.  Much of this disappears beneath further layers, but adds to the overall interactions of colours and edges. Towards the end of the piece, things slow down and my decision-making becomes more considered.

Here, I concluded the painting by adding some corrugated cardboard near the bottom and drawing the leaf-shapes, tying them together with a simple line.

7 comments:

Andersson Blue Design said...

Lovely, you did so well with today's daily. Was interesting to read about how you work towards "boundaries".

AbstractionsbyRonda said...

I am enjoying this series and looking forward to more. I love the simple line tying things together yet creating a boundary of it's own. I am intrigued by the theme.

Rolina said...

Thank you very much for popping by Andersson Blue - it has helped me to have a theme of "boundaries", but I wasn't sure if it was making sense to other people, so I felt some explanation was needed.

Rolina said...

Thanks Rhonda, as a landscape painter, particularly of my very rural surroundings, I love the boundaries between fields: the hedges, roads, rivers, burns, fences etc. It gives me a skeleton to base my work on.

Unknown said...

This is developing into a fascinating series of images.

Rolina said...

Thanks Mick - I hope so, certainly a lot of learning going on, which is always good!

stapeliad said...

What fascinates me most about your paintings are the layers. You do these incredible color layers in your landscape that build up to the final. I'm glad to see your vibrant use of color showcased in these wonderful abstracts!