Monday 18 May 2015

Goddess Brooches

 I have been asked a couple of times if I could make the goddesses parts of the talismans as stand-alone brooches and I have been pondering the question for a while.

I would need to make the figure smaller than my current ones as I feel nearly 4" is a bit large for a brooch, especially with the additional dangly bits, so I am aiming at 3" for the figure.

The next question I had was how to attach the clasps, bearing in mind I don't think glue cuts the mustard?  I tried various methods while the clay was soft, but I kept on damaging the sculpting, so I finally hit on the idea of making the figure, baking it and then attaching the clasp with some more clay (and liquid Fimo), then baking again.  It worked!

The rest has been plain sailing and is very much like the work I do to prepare the figure ready to attach to the panel, I really enjoy this part.

So, here they are, my first batch, I think I am going to enjoy making more of these.

8 comments:

stapeliad said...

Rols these are amazing. You really have something excellent happening with these Goddess talismans. Hugs!

Chris Lally said...

There is no limit to your creativity, Rolina. These unique pieces are just wonderful!!

AprilRimpo said...

You are so clever. I love the variety of shapes and colors in your talisman. They are really getting personalities of their own. Best of success with these.

Rolina said...

Thanks Jessica, Chris and April, I really enjoy working on these.

Currently working on a new shape and some different painting ideas, the possibilities are endless.

Rolina said...

Thanks Sheila!

kaslkaos said...

You figured it out the hard way too...I'm still trying to do everything in one bake, even knowing it won't turn out too well.
Your goddess's are sublime. These are beautiful.

Rolina said...

Thanks Ingrid, that is the next thing to learn - maybe freezing the clay forms will do the trick?

kaslkaos said...

I tried that, still nope. Planning ahead and double firing, exactly what you said, is the way to go.